Sunday, August 06, 2006

Paid in trees!

I have 4 sources of income, firstly and most importantly, my job. It pays ok for what I do and I'm very proud that I hold down a career despite the fact that balancing it all usually means I spend my entire life being late.
Sources 2 and 3 are from the boys fathers, one amount appears via Standing Order marked "money for TW", the other in cash, wrapped in notepaper and ever so ocassionally a declaration of undying love, he hasn't quite worked it out yet 9 years later.

Finally, there's an amount marked 267854123562 (or similar, I'm not going to log into my account to get the numbers exactly right) that appears from the lovely man at the tax office. Its this one that makes me laugh the most. You see, this one is Family Tax credit in all its glory. When I became a single mum, I had no idea how kind the taxman was to those of us who both work, bring up 2 children and stave off the temptation to run to the benefits office. In reality, he's a very kind man who hands over enough for me to put the children into childcare and leave a little left over for school uniform (ohhhh the school uniform, thats a whole other post).

However, its not the cash deposit that is the best bit. Oh no, the tax man appears to encourage those of us in this situation to take a far more entrepreneurial approach to our long term survival. To this end, each week he sends me what I can only guess to be approx 4 small larches, on Friday I recieved my 27th piece of correspondence from him regarding the 06-07 payout. "You must argue with him a lot, are you in a review situation?"

Nope, not a bit of it. I don't argue, whatever I get is a bonus, he just seems to struggle to decide what exactly to pay me. So I don't even read them anymore, I just wait to see what appears in the bank account. In the mean time, I've found a new hobby and will be ebaying my creations, Origami T-rex any one?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home